Pages

Friday, August 17, 2007



Why does being a good parent make me feel bad?

For the most part, I had a good day with Jenna. She had instigated an episode with Alyssa in which a hanger was thrown by Jenna at Alyssa. When Alyssa tries to defend herself, Jenna threatens to come tell. I know that is not the whole story when Jenna tells since Alyssa is 16, and well...she doesn't throw hangers or hit Jenna out of anger, even though if someone threw a hanger at me, I might be highly inclined to retaliate. After wading through all that and talking to Jenna about it, we went on with our day..having lunch with friends, renting a movie, and hanging out at home. We grabbed a bite to eat for supper and went shopping at Big Lots.

I guess I should mention saying that we've had a hard time with Jenna being whiny and having a sassy attitude. It's been going on for quite some time and we aren't having much luck in breaking that bad habit.

So tonight, at the register, she wanted candy and since she had behaved well in the store, I said yes. Right as I was paying the cashier, I said something to Jenna. The sassy and the whiny just popped right out of her. I was quite embarassed and irritated at the way my child has just talked to me. So quite calmly, I handed the candy to the cashier and said, "Have a treat on me" since I had already paid for it. Then I took Jenna's hand and out the store we went.

I can honestly say that I think I got her attention with leaving her candy at the store. I explained to her that I wasn't going to buy her candy if she was talking like that, etc, etc. She cried all the way home and honestly, I felt miserable. This is not the first disciplinary action for this behavior, but I think it was the roughest. It would have been so much easier to just give her the candy, but I just can't have her continue on like this, kwim? I sure hope this will help her learn the lesson.

9 comments:

Brook said...

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I can say that I think that being consistant is the key. I think you did the right thing. If she knows that she is going to get hit with a zinger when she gets sassy, she will eventually stop. There is hope. My SIL was evil as a teen. She is now an awesome mother and first grade teacher.

Rosemary said...

You go girl, just the right thing to do. No drama, just action which hopefully will have an effect.

Jenn said...

wow, i would have never thought to do that, I think that was a great idea and I'm sure it got her attention. Stay tough (hug)

Unknown said...

What a great way to punish her. I would imagine that she would remember that at least until tomorrow.

Unknown said...

You did a great job,G! Don't feel bad about it...I know its hard not to b/c they are our "babies."

((Hugs))

Didi said...

I know exactly what you mean! It is so hard to be a mom. I hate it when I have to punish my youngest..he is usually VERY good, so I feel so mean sometimes!!

lam said...

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I think you did the right thing with candy, she has to learn to take the concequences off her actions

Amy Marie said...

I totally relate.. we have one super whiney sassy six year old here too... the only difference it's a boy!! Really most things don't seem to get through... he just seems to talk with the whine sometimes and it drives me crazy. I'll have to remember the candy thing...

Treighsie said...

I can relate...we've been going through "attitude" with Sam since she was 4. Herm.... does it ever end????
I love what you did with the candy... it was to the point, quick, got her attention, and she's likely to remember it next time.