Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

And the winner is...

Some friends and I were discussing peanut butter. Peter Pan is now back on the shelves and they have an advertising campaign to get things back to normal. I'm concerned about buying it again, even though it was our favorite before all the recalls. We've been eating Skippy over here, and we've really liked it. So in the discussion, one of the ladies brings up 'natural' peanut butter. This is a whole new concept for me.

At Food Lion yesterday, I look at all the selections of natural peanut butter. I have to admit that the oil sitting on top is a little...okay a lot...nasty looking. I've learned since that it is the natural oil from the peanuts and not any type of synthetic oil....you probably know the type I'm thinking of, the same type of oil you get when you melt generic cheese. Nope, I won't buy that either.

But back to the peanut butter....I ended up buying Skippy's Natural PB, but the kind you don't have to stir. We had some other Skippy's left over and decided to put it to the test...I know that the natural is better health wise, but which one actually tastes better?



Enter in the tast tester...aka my dear ol' hubby. For those of you who know how picky his is over his banana pudding (how could I resist saying that??), he is equally as picky over his peanut butter.

So I put him to the test, no sniffing just tasting...although they both smell pretty yummy to me. The results....both peanut butters taste very similar, both very yummy. However, the NATURAL is just more pleasing to the palate. It is creamier and smoother, and would be better to spread on bread. From now on, we'll be a natural peanut butter kind of family.

Well, back to work...Have a great day all!

6 comments:

Amy Marie said...

care to tell me the nutrition info on the back... like total fat, sat fat etc....

bahama97 said...

They are very similar to reg pb

Cal - 180
Cal from fat - 140
Sat Fat - 3.5 g
Trans Fat - 0
Cholesterol - 0
Sodium - 150 mg
Total Carb - 6g
Dietary Fiber - 2g
Sugars - 3g
Protein - 7g

I think what makes this more healthy is that there is no hydrogenated vegetable oil in the ingredient list. I heard on Oprah that is not good for us at all.

The ingredients on the natural are:

roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and salt

Unknown said...

That was interesting. We aren't big peanut butter eaters & usually it would be of a chrunchy style.

I found you quote of the day (Maragret Thatcher) very thought provoking. What was she trying to say? That she thinks she can walk on water, or that everyone wanted to cut her down (tall poppy syndrome).

Amy said...

Hooray you! We became hydrogenated oil free almost a year ago and still feel great about it!!

Rosemary said...

Interesting comparison, those 'bad fats' are being used less and less in our foods too and we haven't found any difference either.

BTW does the Skippy PB come from Australia?

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this...I would probably have been afraid to try the "natural" PB, but now I think that's what I'll buy next time. :)